Year 6 Humanities - Tudor Day
Year 6 were given the opportunity to participate in Tudor Day again this year. A wonderful day was had by all involved with a range of activities provided for children to learn about this key period in our history. Children, staff and Parent helpers arrived in Tudor attire for a full day of activities and events. Three visitors from Woodhorn Museum and Hexham Old Gaol joined us for the day and delivered some of the workshops.
- Children participated in a historical sources activity - identifying Tudor artifacts.
- Dancing was an extremely popular pastime during the Tudor era for both the rich and poor people, so it was included in the programme
for the day. Children were taken through the steps of a dance from Tudor times with Mrs Samuels.
- A map and sources activity which focused on the fortification of one of Northumberland's major towns - Berwick-upon-Tweed, allowed children to get a hands on experience, learning about Tudor maps and identifying changes that have taken place.
- A documented story about a Gaol break at Hexham Old Gaol was acted by children in the drama class, which provided some entertaining scenes.
- Cooking with Mrs Ricketts - delicious Tudor scones with apple and cinnamon - later shared between everyone involved.
- People were not known for good hygiene during the Tudor period, so Pomanders were common accessories to wear with clothing; children created their own pomanders with Mrs Watson - developing needle and sewing skills.
The highlight was a lunchtime Tudor banquet in the school Hall. Pottage was on the menu followed by some typical foods eaten during the Tudor period; chicken drumsticks as well as cheese, bread and apples. For the finale of Tudor Day, we gathered in the hall to give out some rewards for participation and skills demonstrated during the day. This was followed by the whole of Year 6 taking to the floor for a group dance.
Thank you to all those involved, including our Parent helpers and our visitors from Woodhorn Museum and Hexham Old Gaol.
A selection of images from the event are shown below.