The SEN and Disability Act 2001 extended the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (DDA) to over education. Since September 2002, the Governing Body has had three key duties towards disabled pupils, under Part 4 of the DDA:
- not to treat disabled pupils less favourably for a reason related to their disability;
- to make reasonable adjustments for disabled pupils, so that they are not at a substantial disadvantage;
- to plan to increase access to education for disabled pupils.
This plan sets out the proposals of the Governing Body of the school to increase access to education for disabled pupils in the three areas required by the planning duties in the DDA:
- increasing the extent to which disabled pupils can participate in the school curriculum;
- improving the environment of the school to increase the extent to