My child has difficulties with Communication and Interaction
This page covers pupils who have difficulty communicating with others. This can include:
- Understanding language.
- Using language.
- Understanding how to communicate socially with other people.
- Stammering – advice given to families about how to access support from outside agencies.
- Conditions include: Specific Language Disorder, ASD/ASC (Autism), Asperger Syndrome, speech sound disorders/delay.
What can Corbridge Middle School offer?
All students at Corbridge can access
- Quality First teaching with appropriate differentiation (including best SEN practice).
- Visual aids to support key vocabulary, concepts and themes.
- Access to lunchtime homework club where staff will help your child to organise or complete their homework.
- Access to assessment for identification of significant needs.
Targeted support for small groups may include
- Assessment and identification of language need and feedback to parents and staff.
- Where needed, help and advice from an external agencies (e.g.LIST specialist speech and language teachers, CYPS, CAHMS etc).
- Learning Support Assistant in some lessons.
- Year 5 - ELSA small group programme. Our emotional literacy support assistant helps children to settle into school, manage their feelings and relate positively to others so that they can make the most of themselves and of all that the school offers.
- KS2 and KS3 Friendship Club and/or Games Club where staff encourage social skills development, building of relationships between peers and having fun.
- 1:1 mentoring as the need arises.
Support for individual students may include
- Pupil profile created to inform and advise staff on most appropriate strategies to use.
- 1:1 session with a speech and language therapist from the local inclusion support team (LIST).
- 1:1 Individual Learning support assistant in lessons.
- Regular 1:1 mentoring
- On-going tailor made 1:1 tuition led by a specialist teacher or specialist teaching assistant.
- On-going monitoring and regular feedback to parents and students (at least termly and including the Annual Review).
- SATS access arrangements.
*Please note: These options need to be agreed upon for each student in conjunction with parents/carers and then regularly reviewed/modified.