My child has problems with cognition and learning
This can include:
- Reading and spelling
- Learning new information and concepts
- Working with numbers
- Working memory
- Balance and coordination
Students may have conditions such as Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), Moderate Learning Difficulties (MLD) or Specific Learning Difficulties (e.g. dyslexia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia). Students may present with difficulties that do not have a specific title.
What can Corbridge Middle School offer?
All students at Corbridge can access
- Quality First teaching with appropriate differentiation (including best SEN practice).
- Visual aids to support key vocabulary, concepts and themes.
- Access to lunchtime homework club where staff will help your child to organise or complete their homework.
- Access to assessment for identification of significant needs.
Targeted support for small groups may include
- Blocks of 1:1 or small group interventions that focus on a range of needs such as numeracy, literacy, comprehension and spelling.
- Blocks of 1:1 or small group interventions that focus on improving working memory
- Blocks of 1:1 or small group interventions that focus on balance and coordination (fine and gross motor skills).
- Learning Support Assistant in some lessons to help your child access the curriculum.
- Where needed, help from an external agency (e.g. Educational Psychologist).
Support for individual students may include
- Pupil profile created to inform and advise staff on most appropriate strategies to use.
- On-going tailor made 1:1 tuition led by a specialist teacher or specialist teaching assistant.
- A dyslexia screener could be carried out
- Termly testing for students with literacy difficulties to review and plan.
- Subject-specialist teaching assistants in key subjects to provide on-going support.
- External agency advice where needed.
- SATS Access Arrangements.
*Please note: These options need to be agreed upon for each student in conjunction with parents/carers and then regularly reviewed/modified.